Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Emotional support dog

• Emotional support dog

Posted by amy-cessina on August 31, 2021 at 3:32 am

I am dog sitting my neighbors emotional support dog for the third time this summer. The dog has been professionally trained for her needs (which is anxiety) . Each and  every time I have the dog I really forget about my aches, pains, troubles and really enjoy myself. He is a constant companion and stays with me. I just wanted to let others know that while the dog can’t cure MG, they certainly can help improve your outlook and mindset.

abaneezer replied 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • francisw

August 31, 2021 at 11:04 am

As a long time owner of dogs, I fully appreciate the calming effect of an animal that bonds to you. There is little they won’t do for you. The love is real and without conditions. Mine will crawl into bed with me when I can move any more. And then she will just lay there next to me waiting for movement. If you can and your lifestyle supports it, I’d recommend a good dog to anyone with MG.

• abaneezer

September 1, 2021 at 7:46 pm

100% agree. My dog, while untrained, is my emotional support dog for sure! I am not able to walk him every day; but he’s older now and does well with it. MG seriously affects my vocal cords. Having my dog nearby should this happen when I’m alone is crucial to my sense of well being. If I’m going to die from vocal cord paralysis, I need my dog beside me!