Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Describe Your Journey With MG in 3 Words

• Kent Estes

October 12, 2022 at 10:35 pm

Monitor (your condition) and adjust (your activities.)

• Mark Cox

October 13, 2022 at 12:51 pm

Challenging, Unpredictable and Humbling

“ Just Another way to say Wack-A- Mole”

• Jeaninne

October 13, 2022 at 9:59 pm

I haven’t figured out how to submit comments gets. seems like I entered same comments three times. 

Frustrated

Unpredictable

Sometimes embarrassing

• MikeS

October 19, 2022 at 11:25 pm

There’s some weird issue with the forum software.  It seems that if you take too long to type up your comment it seems to freeze when you submit, thus making you think it wasn’t accepted and so you’re hitting submit again, etc.  What I do now is type up my comment on another app and then copy and paste it and immediately hit submit.  Then I exit the forum and re-enter and find my first submission is there.  If it isn’t, then I already have it typed up and can easily copy/paste/resubmit one more time.  It’s usually there the first time, and it’s always if I submit a second time.  I contacted the webmaster about this, but never received a reply.

• Douglas Manning

October 14, 2022 at 3:29 am

Life’s ultimate marathon

The chances for joy just go on and on and on.

• Rob

October 14, 2022 at 3:29 pm

Still en-route

• Mark Cox

October 14, 2022 at 7:41 pm

“It’s always something”

• Charles

October 20, 2022 at 8:29 pm

They should provide emojis on this forum. In their absence, this is my “thumbs up” to your post.

• Greg Josephs

October 18, 2022 at 2:51 pm

How about seven?

“WE HAVE MG. WHAT IS YOUR EXCUSE?”

I maintain we are part of an exclusive club, experts in resilience and thinking “outside of the box”.
    But now I’ve gotta nap.

• Charles

October 19, 2022 at 7:18 pm

Frustrating
    Challenging
    Recurring

Loss of control over your body is frustrating. Figuring out how to manage the issues is challenging. Dealing with it for years with no expectation of a cure is the recurring part.

Saw this from another MG patient: “It won’t always be like this.” Useful to remember when things get rough. Stuff changes. Patience and fortitude can help. So can a good neurologist.

• Sandra Davis

October 19, 2022 at 9:13 pm

It’s been Hell!

I agree with all the other comments, but as bad as it is, the medications could be more deadly. I now have a terminal illness related to side effects from the medication I was on. It could have been avoided. If you see warnings on the RX package, and are actually having them. You are asked to tell your provider ( who may not investigate further),  it is easy to lose faith in them.

• AnneL

October 22, 2022 at 8:48 pm

So sorry to hear of your terminal illness..really, really sorry.  As if having MG is not bad enough.  Which medication did this to you and how long were you on it?

• Sandra Davis

October 31, 2022 at 12:38 pm

I was on 100 mg’s of imuran for 4 months. When it didn’t correct my double vision, it was increased to 200 mg’s a day for 1 year. That comes to 4 mg’s per Kg.( I weigh less than 50 Kg’s).  Within 2 months of starting the drug, I developed purpura that covered my forearms, also nausea and fatigue that worsened each month. I requested blood work, which was refused me at the clinic. I finally asked another Dr. to run blood panels, and found my platelets were down to 37…very low, indicating liver damage,  portal hypertension. My liver damage lead to several episodes of bleeding veins in my stomach and esophagus. So now I have MG and liver failure. I had an upper GI exam before starting the drug, and there was no evidence of it then. My hepatologist told me it was rare, and I am making end of life arrangements now.

If any drug gives you black tarry stools, it needs to be investigated!

• Gulshan K Duggal

October 21, 2022 at 4:17 pm

Acceptance

bear the situation

Peatience and remain positive

compare yourself with those who are suffering from more miserable  ailments and get solace .

• AnneL

October 21, 2022 at 8:11 pm

Shock, Depression, Acceptance

• John Siberski

October 21, 2022 at 10:23 pm

Better than anticipated

• Jack Stayton

October 26, 2022 at 9:24 pm

ADJUST YOUR MEDICATIONS

I found that there is no particular set of what should be prescribed for MG. Reading these forums I see several different kinds of medications as well as different doses we are taking. I’ve asked my neurologist about that and there is no answer. I have been told that there is no test that will tell me how bad my MG is. My tests for AChR and MUSK should set some kind of level for a prescription but they don’t track with what I’m taking. My symptoms are mild, if sometimes non-existent, but I have been taking about the same amounts of Mestinon and Cellcept that many others are taking, i.e., 4×60 Mestinon and 4×500 Cellcept. I’ve actually reduced my Mestinon to 3×60 and Cellcept to 2×500 and I can’t tell any difference in my symptoms. My neurologist said OK, let’s try that for awhile. It doesn’t seem like a science to me. Does it to you?

• John Siberski

October 29, 2022 at 5:23 pm

Living within limits.

• Leanne

November 6, 2022 at 3:59 am

Lonely, exhausting, challenging

• Kent Moore

November 30, 2022 at 8:24 pm

A trackless rollercoaster.

• Kent Moore

November 30, 2022 at 8:37 pm

I think I cheated.  Sorry.  I, here forthwith, change my response to —

“Trackless roller coaster.”

• Dale

December 1, 2022 at 3:36 am

I agree with most ALL comments. So far, I have tried Mestinon and had severe stomach issues. I am also a diabetic and Prednisone is not an option.  I have tried Cellcept and experienced hyperglycemia. So current I am having plasma exchanges every 2 weeks to keep symptoms at bay. My symptoms are mostly droopy eye, neck pain and a few swallowing issues. I’m 78. Been diagnosis for 2 years. I was wondering has anyone had experience with ending plasma exchanges and not taking any medication?  Did your MG get worse?  I know everyone is different “snowflake” disease. Let me hear from you.

Page 2 of 2