Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Advice for Stomach Issues Caused by Meds?

• cem-eksioglu

June 1, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Yes, unfortunately, drugs destroy the stomach. My Method: Taking medications like cortisone in the middle of a meal. Drinking Pure Olive Oil and Cranberry Juice, especially 5-10 minutes before a meal (about 1 tablespoon). My doctor gave me medicine, but this method worked much better for me.

• winston-d-roden

June 2, 2022 at 5:57 pm

Yes, my meds have caused GI issues.  I have eaten many crackers which seem to give some relief.

• diana-m-kent

June 3, 2022 at 4:04 pm

I, too have had stomach issues although I am only on Mestinon. Over active bowel movements which make social participation awkward. My partial solutin is to take with food not , as recommended , before food. I also break it down and take half doses more frequently during the day. Annoying as one has to remember to take it unrelated to normal fixed mealtimes

• cynthia

June 3, 2022 at 6:15 pm

My stomach is always a mess. In off everything but mestinom whick i take 1/2 a tablet every 3 or 4 hours. Sometimes more if needed.

• arlene-deland

June 3, 2022 at 10:06 pm

I take a small amount of prednisone and half my dose of Cellcept with other meds with a fodmap breakfast. I also take omneprazole half an hour before breakfast and sometimes before dinner. I use 8mg of Zolfran as needed. Given the long term problems with my digestive system, I try to follow a Fodmap diet which is pretty restrictive and helps with food intolerances but makes me feel better.
    I also suck on ginger candy which helps with my nausea.

• kathy-lopez

June 4, 2022 at 2:48 am

My neurologist ordered me

Glycopyrrolate which i took for stomach issues from mestinon   I took for about a year with the mestinon and then gradually reduced to zero . Now rarely do i have issues
    <h1 class=”with-also”></h1>

• claire-m-walsh

June 4, 2022 at 4:37 pm

I also have had stomach issues from day one of taking both Mestinon and Cellcept. After over a year of Cellcept, my Neurologist finally stopped it. I had developed several ulcers, plus way too much bruising on my legs and arms. Truthfully, I am a little more fatigued, needing naps again, but I feel so much better. I currently take 90 mg. of Mestinon three times a day and 5 mg of Prednisone once a day, plus 2 IVIg treatments per month.
    I am scheduled to start Vyvgart in about 2 weeks with the hope of getting off all oral meds for awhile. Wish me luck! Would love to know if anyone else has tried Vyvgart infusions?

• prosper-abusah

June 5, 2022 at 5:57 am

Yes , mestinon causes cramps in the stomach . One solution is to take it after food . If possible , reduce the dose . I was on a higher dose before . Now I take 60mg four times in 24 hours .

• ornam

June 5, 2022 at 7:15 am

If you can, eat bananas crackers and dark chocolate and also rice.