Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Mental Health and Self-Care Activities That Help With MG Stress and Anxiety

• Activities That Help With MG Stress and Anxiety

Posted by bns-staff on October 21, 2021 at 3:35 pm

I’ve always had some level of stress in my life, but after being diagnosed with MG, it has skyrocketed.

Even though I am in remission, I still deal with the fear and anxiety of weakness coming back. Because of this, I’ve looked for activities that can help keep me calm.

Baking has become a way for me to clear my mind. The process of making a cake or a loaf of bread helps me calm down and focus on something else.

What helps you manage your MG stress and anxiety? Is there something you have tried that didn’t work? What activities can you do if you are feeling weak?

cyndi-dehoff replied 2 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deborah-a-dortzbach

October 23, 2021 at 3:00 am

Michelle, I love your activity–and I also find that cooking helps me–just the kitchen aromas and promise of yummy delights coming from something I made as well as the enjoyment of sharing goodies with others and getting the focus off myself. Other activities that nurture strength and harness anxiety include uplifting music. I am trying to build more of that into my day–either practicing the instrument I play or just listening more intentionally. My faith helps me very much and I pray and read my Bible regularly as an anchor to my day. Don’t get me wrong. There are plenty of stress-filled days, when the unpredictability of myasthenia is a particular stress-trigger, but I know I have a quiver of possible activities I can pull out to help.

• cyndi-dehoff

October 23, 2021 at 3:44 am

When covid hit , my anxiety increased significantly and my usual relaxation trick of doing puzzles or reading were no longer working.  I found my late mother in laws old sewing machine in the closet and decided to teach myself how to make a quilt like she did for something new to do.    I didn’t know the first the about sewing machines, fabrics, or quilts but I soon learned that there was a lot to learn and I loved the endless creative side.  I find it relaxing to sit in my sewing room now and just create and learn new things   It’s my happy place now.

I also have to add that playing with/petting my dogs is still my number one way to reduce anxiety