Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments Do You Have Other Family Members With MG?

• Do You Have Other Family Members With MG?

Posted by Jodi Enders on August 30, 2022 at 12:35 pm

Research and understanding of the genetic components of MG are limited. New findings are revealing that MG has the potential to be passed down through generations of family. How these genes contribute to MG or predispose an individual to risk is still being studied. 

Do you have blood relatives with Myasthenia gravis? Do any live with other autoimmune diseases?

Sharry replied 5 months ago 16 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Jane

August 31, 2022 at 7:10 pm

My niece 20 years younger than I, acquired MG when she was 39. I was diagnosed at 64. She has infusions every other week I have no infusions, takes 180 mg mestinon daily plus other meds I am not aware .   I was taken off Mesitnon  last month. I’m down to 2.5 mg prednisone daily, Microphenolate 500 mg daily, and CellCept 300 mg daily.  We both have multiple Auto-immune diseases.

jane

• June Robertson

September 1, 2022 at 2:42 pm

I don’t know for sure, but my paternal grandmother who died at 76 in 1956, was bedridden for three years. She was said to have heart problems, and I’m sure she did, but she had “drooping” eyelids for a long time, so I wonder if in those days she was undiagnosed. I was diagnosed in 1962, and it was said I was one of only very very few in Australia at that time, so doctors were not very aware of MG in those days. I have recently …..after 4 Covid vaccines and a dose of ‘flu, got another autoimmune problem, polymyalgia rheumatica, which is a “pain” both practically and metaphorically! My mother had that one. Is autoimmunity pretty much a family problem?

• Jul

September 2, 2022 at 7:42 pm

No other family members with MG that I’m aware of. I was diagnosed 5 months postpartum at the age of 28. My mother had several autoimmune issues (Common variable immune deficiency and aplastic anemia) and someone on my dad’s side with vitiligo. I also have vitiligo…luckily that seems to be harmless

• Julie

September 14, 2022 at 7:05 pm

My aunt has MG and lupus. I have MG, psoriatic arthritis and labs said lupus but being called undifferentiated connective tissue disease for now. Both my children have psoriasis. My niece probably has lupus but is still in the gaslit phase with doctors…smh.  my father was told he had psoriasis late in life. He had tons of arthritis, bursitis issues but never diagnosed with anything specific.  My mother has tons of “ISSUES” and significant neuropathy. Lots of symptoms of Sjogens but not diagnosed.

• darkwood

September 7, 2023 at 2:47 pm

I was just diagnosed with mg recently at age 66. My father was diagnosed with mg at around the same age.

His symptoms were ocular and so are mine so far.

If it is not hereditary, then it’s quite a coincidence!

• Barbara E.

September 8, 2023 at 2:10 pm

No one else in my family has MG.

• Rosanna Langley

September 8, 2023 at 4:22 pm

No one in my family has MG.

• Me2

November 5, 2023 at 6:57 pm

My mother was one of 10 children. Her oldest brother was diagnosed with MG and her oldest sister was also diagnosed with it. My mother was diagnosed at age 68. 2 years ago she got covid and died od complications. While she was in the process of dying I started with droopy eyelids and double vision. I was diagnosed shortly after that at the age of 70. I fear for my sons future.

• Frank

November 9, 2023 at 4:58 pm

Hi, My mom was diagnosed with MG when she was about 72 (I was diagnosed at 70, 2 years ago). She died about 2-3 years later from the disease. I have seen that many of the meds and treatments now available were also available in the early late 80s and early 90s before she died. So, I’m thinking that she had a neurologist who had no idea of how to treat her disease. I’m glad that I have a fabulous neurologist at the University of Kentucky which is a research and training hospital.

Other than mom, I don’t know of other family members with MG, but my grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis which is an autoimmune condition. MG DOES seem to show up more frequently in families than you’d think a “rare disease” would that wasn’t genetic.

• Jane

November 9, 2023 at 6:32 pm

Hi my name is Jane. I was diagnosed with MG in 2014. Whereas my brothers daughter who is 22 years younger than I am was diagnosed in 2008 with MG. My niece has been on IVIG since her diagnosis. I have not.

• FAC

November 10, 2023 at 2:25 pm

My Maternal first cousin’s daughter has MG. She became pregnant and she and her husband decided to take the risk. She had some complications and had to take to her bed but was able to carry to full-term and had a healthy baby. Mother and baby have been doing well for some time.

• Cheryl Soehl

November 10, 2023 at 6:31 pm

My brother has had MG for over twenty years. I was diagnosed a little over 3 years ago. My sister had lupus. Family is lousy with autoimmune issues.

• John Siberski

November 10, 2023 at 6:46 pm

I’ve had MG for 14 years. My fraternal twin brother was diagnosed with Graves ophthalmopathy (no hyperthyroidism) about 30 years ago.

• LIZ

November 11, 2023 at 10:03 am

I’m the only one in my family diagnosed (9/2022) but as I learn more of MG I am certain my mother has it. In her youth she was very strong willed and worked nonstop but seemed to rely only on faith to get her work done. She prayed for energy getting out of bed and all day long. Her eye lids started to droop when she was in her late 40s. She rarely ate without severely choking and would fall asleep anytime she sat too long… restaurants, movie, driving, waiting for appointment. I remember her hitting her own arms or legs at times to command them to work. Now in her 80s she can no longer walk. I mentioned my theory to her Dr a few months ago but he disagreed, said not genetic, and didn’t test. I’m in process of fighting for her testing.

• standia

November 11, 2023 at 11:39 am

I am 79 and was diagnosed last march. No one else in my immediate family as ever had this disease, but my aunt may have had it back in the mid 60s or earlier.

• Sharry

November 25, 2023 at 4:46 pm

My youngest daughter (age 40+ at the time of diagnosis). Not congenital.