Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Relationships and Social Life Living with MG during the loss of a spouse, divorce, or breakup

• Living with MG during the loss of a spouse, divorce, or breakup

Posted by Jodi Enders on December 6, 2023 at 7:00 am

I see many members urgently reaching out to others for advice on how to deal with the heaviness, uncertainty, and overwhelming nature of loneliness. The experience of loneliness can be incredibly challenging and daunting to navigate if you have not lived this way for a while or if you have become comfortable with the assistance of a partner acting as a caregiver or primary support. 

Who here is experiencing this currently or has in the past? What is the primary aspect of MG that becomes a struggle when you lose a partner? 

Do you have any recommendations, advice, or action steps for others to find comfort during this harrowing time?

Barbara E. replied 1 day, 21 hours ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Barbara E.

May 11, 2024 at 1:13 pm

When I was initially diagnosed with MG in the 1990s, I was living with my incredibly supportive husband and working. It was hard, but many people were extremely helpful in both my personal and professional life. But, after about a decade, I had to retire on disability due to increased MG symptoms. A year later, I was thrilled to learn that I was in complete remission (no symptoms and no needed meds), which lasted for about 13 years. During this time, I was thankfully able to care for my husband before his death. About 3 years ago, my MG symptoms returned and I’ve struggled since then to take care of myself (fairly well), maintain my home (badly) and keep up my relationships with family/friends (essential for mental well-being). Right now, I use a mobility (white) cane to get around and can’t drive, but I dance (and other activities) with friends/family as often as possible. It’s all hard, especially without my loving husband (whom I still horribly miss all the time). But, my guidelines been to prepare for the worse, hope for the best, and fight for my best life possible!