• Poliomyelitis and MG

Posted by Deleted User on April 29, 2022 at 8:35 am

If anyone has had polio as a child and then developed MG 40 – 60 years later, please let us know. I think there is a connection. Polio affects the thymus and acetylcholine vesicles. My mother developed MG 60 years after polio.

Deleted User replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Joe Burdett

May 7, 2022 at 12:55 am

I have MG. I don’t know when I had it, but it was confirmed Hx of poliomyelitis without residual effect 4/8/2020. As a child I was part of the blind study of the Jonas Salk vaccine. It was later that year my parents were informed that I had received the real vaccine. I was diagnosed with MG in March of 2020

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      May 8, 2022 at 10:16 pm

Thank you for sharing, Joe 🙂

• June Robertson

May 11, 2022 at 11:09 pm

I was in close contact with polio at my school in 1954 and in 1957, but showed no symptoms then I had the Salk vaccine in Australia about 1958. There may have been hints of MG after that, but I was diagnosed and severe in 1962. I did not have the boosters. I did get MG a few weeks after a Hepatitis vaccine, but whether this was a cause I don’t know.

After a severe virus(probably 1983), which many people suffered at that time,…stiff neck,muscle pain, headaches, bowel problems, food intolerances, weakness, mental fog and exhaustion, I developed chronic fatigue which lasted nearly ten years. Alternative therapies finally helped and I studied herbal medicine to help myself and others.

Mostly now I am well(78 ), but intermittently suffer the same symptoms which often involve craving sweets at the outset, then headaches etc. As with every infection, the MG worsens a bit. Interesting to think the polio might be relevant. Thanks for raising that.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      May 19, 2022 at 9:47 pm

Thank you for sharing, June! I asked a few neurologists and they said that polio in childhood or post-polio in adulthood and MG are not connected in any way. But, I’m not sure. Mestinon is used both for post-polio and MG.

• Winston D Roden

May 19, 2022 at 9:09 pm

I was diagnosed with Mg in 2019.  I too had a mild case of Polio in the mid 1950’s around ten years of age.  A first cousin I was in close contact with was hospitalized, but the Doctors said they were trying to keep from have two in the family hospitalized at the same time. I have had problems with pain in my legs ever since.  My MG has certainly weakened me and changed my life.

• Deleted User

Deleted User
      May 19, 2022 at 10:04 pm

Hi Winston, thank you for sharing. Yes, I understand, MG is very challenging. My mom (72) is almost always tired and weak. Symptoms started in her legs 10 years ago (slow walking). But we thought that she is just getting older. Her polio in childhood was severe.