Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments Ocular Hypertension with Prednisone treatment for MG

• Ocular Hypertension with Prednisone treatment for MG

Posted by brad-herndon on December 30, 2022 at 8:33 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else who may currently be taking Prednisone as part of their prescribed MG treatment has experienced an increase in ocular pressure?

Since my pressure jumped up substantially from my last annual eye visit, I was prescribed some eye drops (normally used for Glaucoma treatment) to help bring down the pressure in my eyes, as she/doctor feels the Prednisone may be the culprit.

Just wondering other folks experience.   I have been titrating down my Prednisone dose, working with my neurologist toward getting to a place to hopefully discontinue my usage at some point.  (I am just at a year since official diagnosis of generalized MG).

Thanks!  Happy New Year!

-Brad

Jane replied 1 year, 2 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • diana-t-garcia

January 4, 2023 at 11:46 pm

Hi Brad, I’ve been taking prednisone for ocular MG for about 3 years. The last couple of times going to the ophthalmologist, they’ve noticed an increase in eye pressure, which the Doc says can be caused by steroid use. I’m still borderline, but they’re monitoring for glaucoma, and I won’t be surprised if I have to start being treated with drops, as you’ve experienced. Hope this helps and good luck with your treatment.

• phillip

January 6, 2023 at 8:42 pm

Hello Brad,

I had ocular hypertension before the onset of gMg I just started using prednisone. I had been using prescription eye drops well before I started prednisone. I’m hoping to start IVIG treatment as a bridge, then start Cellcept and taper off prednisone entirely. I wish you well.

• Jane

January 6, 2023 at 9:59 pm

I’m taking prednisone for MG down to 2.5mg daily. However, I have an appointment with a neuro-ophthmologist due my vision — when reading from left to right the letters of words get smaller and smaller (lest ey3 only. Was told last eye test, 2 years ago, no macular degeneration but…. Jane