Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Gift Wrapping With Weak Hands Due to Myasthenia Gravis

• Gift Wrapping With Weak Hands Due to Myasthenia Gravis

Posted by jodi-enders on December 14, 2021 at 6:12 pm

Are you struggling this year, or have in the past wrapped presents with Myasthenia gravis? My hands are one of my muscles that gets weak the most rapidly, and sometimes the amount of breaks needed makes a task such as wrapping gifts with paper not sustainable for my energy usage.

Have you found other ways that you prefer wrapping presents other than using tape, scissors, and gift wrap? Or do you have any gift ideas for others that do not require wrapping?

jodi-enders replied 2 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • chrism

December 15, 2021 at 7:01 pm

Gift bags and boxes.  Or envelopes.

• amy-cessina

December 15, 2021 at 9:43 pm

It’s funny having MG around the holidays. My family is no help decorating the tree. I was attempting (lol) to get the star onto the top of the  tree and I felt quite fatigued keeping my arms raised for that long above my head that I almost went crashing right through the tree. I was up on a chair. I guess we should know our limitations. I have mild disease but that almost wrecked me and the tree haha .

• jonathan-a

December 18, 2021 at 4:32 am

I know exactly how you feel.  For 8 months, I was undiagnosed by every doctor who saw me.  I was correctly diagnosed by a floor nurse at the second hospital, who had patients who had my all my symptoms.  So it got to be impossible to raise my arms to string my clothesline or hang my wet clothes on it, or even trim low branches on a tree.  My arms were too tired to raise over my shoulder joints and there was also NO STRENGTH in my hand grip.

But I have gotten around the Christmas tree problem.  I use smaller trees  … about three or four feet high.  Each in a different room.  One pink (Grandma’s favorite 60’s color), one Disney ornament figures and lights, and a traditional one with glass balls and lightweight tinsel.  You decorate the top half of tree, when it is on the floor and you are sitting down at the dining room table with your decorations laid out.  Then have someone put the tree up on a corner table … and you can finish it place.   Also takes less energy and ornaments, as you can leave the unseen back of the tree naked.  Also it is festive to decorate several rooms.  Even one to enjoy in the bedroom on a timer  … or a remote to turn off in bed.

• jodi-enders

December 20, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Oh, how I wish family could read minds when we need help!! Haha, thank you for sharing. I am glad you are okay. I am also pushing my limits with MG, not sure if I will ever learn! I wish you a happy holiday however you manage to enjoy it.

• jonathan-a

December 20, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Some people get very imaginative when wrapping a gift, thinking outside the box.  It usually best shows up at holiday gift exchanges, bridal showers, or mom-to-be events.   It is amazing all the colorful things, that you can find cheap at Dollar Tree,   99 Cent stores, or Big Lots stores at bargain prices.

Depending on what size and type of gift, you will find in these stores, pillow cases, smaller towels, throw pillow covers, small round fabric tablecloths, a kitchen appliance fabric cover,  or metallic tablecloths.  Put the gift in the center, tie it up closed with a bread wrapper tie, and add a big bow.  Also go to the school supplies section  … they have colorful metallic foil pocket file envelopes,   …  or small wood vegetable or fruit crates for paper file storage.    If you are a great baker,  find a cute and cheap wood or wicker basket, make some cookies, caramel apples, or popcorn balls to put in your basket, and cover over the contents with a colorful towel or napkin.

Last year I hit a couple clearance EASTER HOLIDAY sales.  The colorful baskets all in different pastels colors was amazing.  I still have not used them  …. as,  because you have MG you get tired, have to go lie down, and leave it for another day.  Stores like Michael’s, JoAnn’s, and Big Lots,  are starting to drop their prices or have coupons.  Find a few baskets, wood crates, artsy mailboxes, those boxes that look like books (at Michael’s)   …..   from EASTER, FALL, or CHRISTMAS holiday clearances running now and after December 25th.  Then just fill them with gifts, cookies, fresh fruit,  homemade jelly, spices, cooking utensils, new baby needs,  …add a napkin cover and you are done… ready to go  … for next year.  Also you are giving TWO GIFTS IN ONE !!   The gift and  “its wrapping”.

No more wrapping paper, sticky tape, or trying to get your MG fingers to behave and not lose their grip strength.  Also, if your fingers are absolutely dying, and you need your left hand to hold up your MG right hand, while holding a fork to eat at dinner, like happened to me several times   …. buy some LARGE decorative socks.  You see them everywhere now  …. with clean, naughty, superhero (for kids), or Irish sayings.  Then stuff your gift inside, use a bread bag tie to close it, and add a bow.

The last time that I went to SPENCERS GIFTS  … pre covid, pre MG onset. I bought these great socks.  Now that I have my diagnosis   ….   after 10 months of searching and four months in three hospitals because of it  …. those new socks took on so much more meaning.

For those of us going slowly into  MG recession  … it seems like I keep saying  … well I will do it tomorrow, and I go lie down again NOW and rest for a while,  and build my energy back up again.  WISHING YOU BETTER HEATH IN THE YEAR AHEAD  …..