Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Healthcare and Treatments IV/IG vein pain and blockage.

• IV/IG vein pain and blockage.

Posted by Ari Maayan on October 11, 2023 at 10:06 pm

I have been on IV/IG for about 7 years now and I’m beginning to get some “issues”. I am experiencing blockage of the veins in my arms and constant pain in the area of the veins that have been in use. The medicos are trying to talk me into letting them put in a port. The very idea freaks me out. To see this big damn box strapped to my chest. I can’t get past it. But the problems with my veins is getting worse. I know, you are going to tell me to stop whining, put on my big boy britches and get the port. Maybe.

Barbara E. replied 6 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • John

October 11, 2023 at 10:30 pm

Ari,

Don’t fret too much. I don’t have one personally at present, but the people whom I have spoken with who have a similar condition to yours or who have trouble being stuck with a needle, get a small port fitted into their neck, and over a period of time that you need an infusion, blood tests or whatever, they have found it to be a godsend, and it’s not uncomfortable at all, as after a short while, you get used to it. So perhaps you could look into this.

Best. John.

• Barbara E.

October 13, 2023 at 6:20 pm

After awhile, I had so much trouble that switching to subcutaneous Ig (SCIg) was recommended (tiny, short needles under the skin). This has been great because I was taught to do it myself each week at home, at my convenience – even when traveling out of town. It’s not painful and allows much better flexibility in my schedule.