Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Mental Health and Self-Care Have you asked yourself in regards to MG, “Why me?”

• Have you asked yourself in regards to MG, “Why me?”

Posted by Jodi Enders on August 8, 2023 at 5:00 am

Have you asked yourself in regards to MG, “Why me?” Mark Harrington has. I love this new piece of his, https://myastheniagravisnews.com/columns/reframing-question-why-me-life-rare-disease/. 

Unlike what you would expect, Mark explains how we can flip this question from pondering and grieving why our bodies developed a disease and what we did to be destined for MG to thinking about “why me” in a gratitude sense. 

Asking the why question repeatedly opens the door to frustration and grief, which is okay in moderation, but not a feeling that we want to fall victim to day after day. But MG is an opportunity to see how those who say they love and care for us really do—quite a blessing when you think about it.

Next time you ask why you had to get MG, ask yourself what you did to deserve all the wonderful people who stand by your side and continue giving you a helping hand. Think about how you can show that deep love back to them.

Natalie Rudolph replied 8 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Cheryl

August 17, 2023 at 7:01 pm

Not sure I ask why me but “what now?”

I have struggled with being disabled and unable to work, declining fast and deep, using up saving for years before SSDI, being given diagnosis to be taken away, given placation, insults… then Covid made it all worse. The tension with adult son and fear that I was dying and not knowing what now…the relationship ended abruptly3 mos before finally got SSDI,2 mos after long covid eased just slightly,5 mos before getting Mestinon. Life could be divided into pre and post mestinon though he still isn’t convinced MG , says lot of diseases respond to Mestinon and being sero neg, SFMG neg ( done by MD who said it would be neg before even did it). While a lot of things have gotten some better, still barely able to cope day to day.

86 yo friend is now having to go into skilled care having been really horribly neglected by her daughter. Not sure how to plan the next bad thing, not sure which will be the step too far.

• Thomas Lee Clark

August 18, 2023 at 8:13 pm

Staying positive has helped me through many of the crisis times. My question was more like, why not me. I have had strong reinforced faith and I was one who was blessed with the thymectomy working. I pray for those still on this MG journey. Medicine chasing wears at a person. It helps to be a certified crazy ’cause this disease will bring you to the crazy edge.

• Natalie Rudolph

August 19, 2023 at 10:56 am

I do ask why sometimes, but I keep trying to get stronger and better.

I miss my independence, I’m not able to drive because my eye droop isn’t responding to treatment. After 5 years my husband has gotten very angry and short tempered with me, so I try not to ask for help. I feel very guilty. I have some friends who help which is wonderful. I pray everyday for my husband and my family and friends, and I won’t give up!