Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Navigating School and Work Coping with Unemployment and/or Leave

• Coping with Unemployment and/or Leave

Posted by BioNews Staff on May 11, 2021 at 5:43 pm

When school buildings closed in March of 2020, I never thought it would change the outlook of my career. It was only my second year of teaching, and I was planning to stay in the education world for at least the next ten years. But when we started school again in the fall, my employer informed us we could only teach from home for eight weeks, regardless of how bad the cases were in my city or an individual’s health. I have been on leave ever since.

Have you taken leave or lost your job due to the pandemic? What has your experience been like?

Jodi Enders replied 2 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Jodi Enders

May 12, 2021 at 8:26 pm

I have had to quit my job to handle my first MG flare mid-pandemic and remain healthy while starting a large prednisone quantity. It has been a difficult time, mostly like you, Michelle, my plans quickly and majorly altering. For almost a year, I have lived with my parents to care for me and save money. However, as great as support is, I have lost some independence. I am looking forward to moving into an apartment at the end of the month to rediscover myself alone.