• Liquid Mestinon

Posted by jodi-enders on October 10, 2022 at 6:00 pm

A few weeks ago, I came across an individual with MG that said they use the liquid version of Mestinon to avoid complications swallowing the pill. I don’t know why I don’t hear of people using this more often!

Hundreds, probably thousands, of people living with MG experience swallowing issues at least at some point. And nobody wants to choke on their medication, have a nasty taste in their mouth, and waste pills. The problem with drugs going to waste is that there may be complications with insurance not wanting to fill a prescription early. Possibly leaving you without your needed medication on time. 

Have you tried liquid Mestinon before? Have you ever heard of this being an option? If not, would it be helpful for you, and do you plan on asking your doctor about it?

MikeS replied 1 year, 5 months ago 7 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • jenny

October 12, 2022 at 7:02 pm

It is very expensive and insurance companies do not want to cover it.

• charles-karcher

October 12, 2022 at 7:10 pm

I have not used  it.  My neurologist has never mentioned it.  None of the pharmacies including the hospital pharmacy where I was hospitalized for my exacerbations carries it.  Since none of my doctors prescribed I do not know if Medicare would cover it.

• jennie-morris

October 12, 2022 at 7:19 pm

I heard it was only prescribed for children.

• michail

October 12, 2022 at 7:19 pm

I do not swallow mestinon, just “eat” it, it is bitter, but ok. I am not sure why you would want to use liquid one, virtually no point…

• kenneth-berg

October 12, 2022 at 8:52 pm

I seem to recall the mestinon instructions said do not chew pill.

• patricia-lyons

October 12, 2022 at 8:58 pm

I had it when I was in the hospital and had an NG stomach tube.

• MikeS

October 14, 2022 at 2:05 am

3 months ago I had to be admitted  because I couldn’t swallow any solids including mestinon.  The liquid form probably could have prevented admission.  Wish I had known.