Myasthenia Gravis News Forums Forums Life Hacks and Tips Fall Prevention Awareness Day

• Fall Prevention Awareness Day

Posted by BioNews Staff on September 23, 2021 at 7:19 pm

Yesterday, September 22nd, was Fall Prevention Awareness Day. As we all know, MG weakness can lead to dangerous falls. When my legs were very weak, I attempted to pick something up off the floor and ended up slamming my head on the ground. It never occurred to me that MG could make me a fall risk.

How do you prevent yourself from falling due to MG? What precautions do you take? Have you fallen before? How did you recover?

Sandra Davis replied 2 years, 6 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • David E Falter

September 24, 2021 at 7:29 pm

As an 82 year with MG and peripheral neuropathy inherited from my father, falls have intruded into my life inside my own home. I discovered that letting my guard down inside my home was dangerous. When I go out, I always use a cane or full arm cane and I am super careful where I walk, etc. In the house, no cane, too nonchalant, too familiar with surroundings, etc. Now I am really, really careful going room to room, watching for throw rugs and furniture that may have been moved around. We even added an extra handrail to our stairs which means I can use both hands when going up or down in relative safety. Life is still good!!

• Amy Cessina

October 1, 2021 at 3:15 pm

My advice is to have a good pair of house shoes. A pair you don’t wear outside so they are clean. Never walk around bare foot in your house or with just socks on to reduce risk of falling. I use sneakers called “Allbirds” they are lightweight and very comfortable. They cost 100 dollars a pair but they are washable and I use them everyday. Well worth it if it keeps me from slipping.

• Sandra Davis

October 1, 2021 at 7:29 pm

I fell on a sidewalk twice,  one of my legs just gave way under me. I started using a cane after that. I always use it outdoors, now and have had no more falls. Indoors I walk carefully, and have eliminated throw rugs, and am very cautious on the stairs, and also use both side hand rails. My bedroom is upstairs. On a bad day, I make 1 round trip, good days, 4-5 trips up and down. I find that carrying anything throws my balance off. When I need to carry things down, I use a plastic bag attached to a plastic clothes hanger, put it on the railing, and sails it right down. I toss the sheets down to be washed. I have help carrying them back up. I’m  doing balancing exercises in a pool, where a fall is impossible, to strengthen my core. I  have had MG for 3 yrs.

• Bill Suphan

October 2, 2021 at 9:29 am

I have a walk-in shower now which is very helpful.  I also do not like to carry anything around with me and I use a walking cane the majority of the time I walk outside or go someplace.  That is largely for balance.  I use one of those cell phone holders with a strap that goes around my neck so that if I fall I can call my wife or someone else to help me up.  I fell once and tried to dive for an easy chair but hit the side of my torso and I thought I had broken some ribs so I let myself down to the floor.  Luckily nothing was broken but I was sore for about 10 days.  We sold a vacation home we had that was three stories because I could not negotiate the stairs more than once a day, if that.

• Sandra Davis

October 4, 2021 at 8:30 pm

I didn’t fully address your question, Michelle. I hold onto a stable piece of furniture or a counter or anything immobile with one hand while reaching down to the floor to pick something up inside the house. My depth perception is off, so I may miss the end of something I am placing things upon. I frequently drop things in the kitchen while cooking or cleaning up after a meal for myself, too.