Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Michelle Gonzaba
      Participant

Yesterday, September 22nd, was Fall Prevention Awareness Day. As we all know, MG weakness can lead to dangerous falls. When my legs were very weak, I attempted to pick something up off the floor and ended up slamming my head on the ground. It never occurred to me that MG could make me a fall risk.

How do you prevent yourself from falling due to MG? What precautions do you take? Have you fallen before? How did you recover?

David E Falter
      Participant

As an 82 year with MG and peripheral neuropathy inherited from my father, falls have intruded into my life inside my own home. I discovered that letting my guard down inside my home was dangerous. When I go out, I always use a cane or full arm cane and I am super careful where I walk, etc. In the house, no cane, too nonchalant, too familiar with surroundings, etc. Now I am really, really careful going room to room, watching for throw rugs and furniture that may have been moved around. We even added an extra handrail to our stairs which means I can use both hands when going up or down in relative safety. Life is still good!!

Amy Cessina
      Participant

My advice is to have a good pair of house shoes. A pair you don’t wear outside so they are clean. Never walk around bare foot in your house or with just socks on to reduce risk of falling. I use sneakers called “Allbirds” they are lightweight and very comfortable. They cost 100 dollars a pair but they are washable and I use them everyday. Well worth it if it keeps me from slipping.

Sandra Davis
      Participant

I fell on a sidewalk twice,  one of my legs just gave way under me. I started using a cane after that. I always use it outdoors, now and have had no more falls. Indoors I walk carefully, and have eliminated throw rugs, and am very cautious on the stairs, and also use both side hand rails. My bedroom is upstairs. On a bad day, I make 1 round trip, good days, 4-5 trips up and down. I find that carrying anything throws my balance off. When I need to carry things down, I use a plastic bag attached to a plastic clothes hanger, put it on the railing, and sails it right down. I toss the sheets down to be washed. I have help carrying them back up. I’m  doing balancing exercises in a pool, where a fall is impossible, to strengthen my core. I  have had MG for 3 yrs.

Bill Suphan
      Participant

I have a walk-in shower now which is very helpful.  I also do not like to carry anything around with me and I use a walking cane the majority of the time I walk outside or go someplace.  That is largely for balance.  I use one of those cell phone holders with a strap that goes around my neck so that if I fall I can call my wife or someone else to help me up.  I fell once and tried to dive for an easy chair but hit the side of my torso and I thought I had broken some ribs so I let myself down to the floor.  Luckily nothing was broken but I was sore for about 10 days.  We sold a vacation home we had that was three stories because I could not negotiate the stairs more than once a day, if that.

Sandra Davis
      Participant

I didn’t fully address your question, Michelle. I hold onto a stable piece of furniture or a counter or anything immobile with one hand while reaching down to the floor to pick something up inside the house. My depth perception is off, so I may miss the end of something I am placing things upon. I frequently drop things in the kitchen while cooking or cleaning up after a meal for myself, too.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account